06 Apr Happy World Day for Physical Activity!
Today, April 6, is the World Day for Physical Activity!
“Physical activity has significant health benefits for hearts, bodies and minds
- Physical activity contributes to preventing and managing non-communicable diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer and diabetes
- Physical activity reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Physical activity enhances thinking, learning, and judgment skills
- Physical activity ensures healthy growth and development in young people
- Physical activity improves overall well-being
- Globally, 1 in 4 adults do not meet the global recommended levels of physical activity
- Up to 5 million deaths a year could be averted if the global population was more active
- People who are insufficiently active have a 20% to 30% increased risk of death compared to people who are sufficiently active
- More than 80% of the world’s adolescent population is insufficiently physically active”
Source: WHO website https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/physical-activity
Let’s be active today and every day to achieve optimal health benefits!
Learn more about WHO “Global action plan on physical activity 2018–2030: more active people for a healthier world” which provides a framework of actions to support, retain and increase physical activity around the world.